As Promised: New Updates

It has been months since I uploaded a blog post. Sorry for the delay. I have been having huge writers block. Anyways, shortly after I posted my last post, I became busy finishing up my grad assignments. My fall semester ended in December. After the finals week, I became lethargic and sick for a few days. I think it was a small case of food poisoning. I was sleeping all day unless I had to go to work. That next week my boyfriend came to Shanghai for three weeks. You can imagine how excited I was that I neglected the blogging for a minute.

Many of you have been asking me about Milu (the cute little pup) I found in Shanghai. He is now an American doggy citizen! My boyfriend took him back home and his family has adopted him! He is truly living the American dream. When we took Milu to the pet hospital for his final check-up, everyone who worked there kept saying how lucky he was. They couldn’t grasp why would someone go to that length of adopting a dog, especially when Shanghai streets roam of stray dogs. It was a sad goodbye when I had to say goodbye to my two best friends at the airport that Friday night. I came home with no dog to snuggle with. It was a depressing Friday evening.

The next evening was a little bit better. I was looking for flights to visit Hong Kong for Chinese New Years. I was listening to the same song over and again, Lego House by Ed Sheeran, and I found myself looking at round trip flights from Shanghai to San Francisco. I was getting close to the halfway mark living in Shanghai and seeing my boyfriend reminded me how I just missed my family and home. Before leaving to Shanghai, I had already assured everyone that I would not be back until my work contract was over. I just told myself in my mind that it wasn’t possible because of how expensive flights can be and the limited days off I had at work.

Anyways, I found thee perfect flight back home, and I was almost sure that this was it.Long story, short I bought the tickets. I did text my boss to ask him, but after no reply, I got the courage from my family members to just do it, and ask later. My boss called me and I told him about my plans. I only had ten days for the break. My trip was a span of 15 days. My boss agreed that night. At the same time, I offered to do as much overtime as possible which I did before leaving.

I came home for two weeks and it was so worth it. I was greeted by my parents at the airport.I had a good bowl of pho that day, followed by eating at one of my favorite at gorge yourself restaurant aka, the Cheesecake factory. I saw my cousin and my brother who were both leaving two days after I arrived. It was so timely. A few days later, I went to Socal to visit the bf and his family. I got to watch Milu interact with his new family, and how he adored his new doggy brother Rolo.

It has been half a year since I dipped my toes in a pool, let alone swim laps in the swimming pool. Last year when I was living in the OC, I would swim at least 4 times a week. I am very grateful that I am able to have a gym membership in Shanghai, but boy did I miss swimming. We were able to squeeze two trips to the pool. We even manage to celebrate an early Valentines Day, going back to our first date at the beach, eating at the Shake Shack, overlooking the whole beach. To top it all off, my boyfriend’s mom took me to a petting zoo a few hours before my flight going home. I even watched the Superbowl that weekend.

One of the best parts of my trips was seeing specific family members. I was able to accompany them to a Chinese concert/ dinner right before leaving back to Shanghai. My grandpa was so excited to see the singer who he remembered from his youth and the excitement on his face said it all. As the singer was approaching our table, my grandfather pushed himself to stand up. He was clapping with the beat, and his expression was that of a five-year-old. Unfortunately, the singer never made it close enough to take a photo with him, but regardless, I was happy to share that moment with my grandparents.

My uncle’s wife gave birth to a baby boy named Max this summer. Since I wasn’t home, I havent been able to bond with Max. It was nice to watch how he warmed up to me in just an hour. I initally bribed him to like me by letting him play with my cellphone case. I even gave him a bath, as “cousin duties.” One day, when Max gets old, I’ll tell him that I bathe him just for bragging rights.

All of these little moments made it extra hard to leave. The day before I left, I couldn’t stop saying of how I wanted to stay home. Don’t get me wrong, I have come to love and appreciate the life I have here in Shanghai, but I didn’t feel like I had enough time with them. On my last night, I cuddled my mom as I was trying to sleep. I couldn’t stop the tears streaming down my cheeks. My mom was empathic but told me over again that I needed to stay strong. I wasn’t even emotional when I had left initially for China. I couldn’t believe how emotional I was becoming. The next day my dad took me to the airport. He helped me until I had to go through security. I gave my dad a tight squeeze as he reminded me how much he loved me. When I said I didn’t want to go he proceeded to tell me in his inspirational voice “That I had to complete my mission and finish the program.” When he had put it that way, I was able to get going. I got on the plane and started reading and whipping out assignments.

I can say that I am all back to my normal work mode again. I am in the Spring semester of my program. This semester might be extra overwhelming since all the work I am about to do is working towards finishing my thesis. I am about to collect data, so if you all can keep me in your prayers that would be greatly appreciated. Before I leave this post, one thing I want to share with what I am learning in this time of my life is the saying, “If there is a will there is a way” has truth in it.

I never imagined  Milu could have a chance to experience the green grass in America. As far as getting Milu to America, everything pretty much went smoothly as planned. I didn’t think that I would be able to see my family for one year but God did provide me a ticket to go home. Turned out since it was Chinese New Years, and because I missed Christmas between all of my family members they gave me just a little bit above what my ticket cost. My round trip ticket was $925. I received $950. I spent about $150 dollars during my stay.

The Lord just knew the longing I had to go home and he made it happen. With that being said, I am very grateful for all the friends and family members who embraced me when I came home. The love that I felt gave me that extra boost of encouragement needed to finish these last six months in Shanghai. Thank you!

BAM christmas

grandfathertrader joe suitcase


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s